sapa tau ada yang tertarik.. (un)fortunately, only for those below 25 y.o. 😛
Young people from around the world are invited to enter the 2008 International Essay Contest organized by UNESCO and the Goi Peace Foundation with the sponsorship of the Earthrise Society.
The theme for this year’s contest is “My project to create positive change in my environment. How can I foster sustainable development in my community.” The deadline for entry is June 30, 2008. First prize winners will receive a cash award and a trip to Japan.
Please see the complete guidelines below. The same information can be found on the Goi Peace Foundation website here. To read winning essays from last year’s contest, click here. Please spread the information about the essay contest to young people in your network.
May Peace Prevail on Earth!
The Goi Peace Foundation
***** 2008 INTERNATIONAL ESSAY CONTEST FOR YOUNG PEOPLE *****
– Organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
– Sponsored by the Earthrise Society
– Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc., Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education
– Supported by Japan Airlines
The United Nations has designated 2001-2010 as the “International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World” and 2005-2014 as the “United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.” Not only should young people benefit from these global initiatives, but they should be empowered to play a leading role in them. The theme of this year’s International Essay Contest is “MY PROJECT TO CREATE POSITIVE CHANGE IN MY ENVIRONMENT. HOW CAN I FOSTER SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN MY COMMUNITY?” Young people from around the world are invited to submit their innovative ideas on this theme.
“My project to create positive change in my environment. How can I foster sustainable development in my community?” — Please submit your innovative ideas and concrete plans/projects to address the social, cultural, environmental or economic problems faced by your community.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 30, 2008) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 800 words or less typed or printed in English, French, Spanish or German.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) postal address (5) phone number (6) e-mail address (7) nationality (8) age as of June 30, 2008 (9) sex (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
(Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.)
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or e-mail. (Email entries must be in text or MS Word format, with the cover page and essay sent together as one document.)
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the sponsors.
*** DEADLINE: Entries must be received by JUNE 30, 2008.
*** AWARDS: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$840) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$420) … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2008. (Travel expenses will be covered by the sponsors.)
** All prize winners will be announced in November 2008 on the web site of Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
*** PLEASE SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
UPDATE: they have announced the 2009 Competition. Find the information HERE